Mini Cobra Pose: Bhujangasana
As we know, surfing requires upper body strength, not only for all that paddling but also for popping up. Yoga can really benefit your surfing not only through building strength, endurance, balance and flexibility but also through breath! Meditation techniques can are great for calming and centring you while you are out in the water, especially on those bigger days!
Why Surfers Should Love it:
Cobra pose is a great place to build strength, but also to stretch out the muscles before and after a surf! Cobra pose mimics the movement to popping up on the board, lifting the chest and through the thoracic spine, while engaging the core muscles.
- Opens and stretches the shoulders, chest and abdomen
- Tones the inner thigh and buttocks (buns of steal!)
- Strengthens the spine
- Tones the trapezius, triceps and deltoids
- Helps relieve stress and fatigue
Getting into Posture
1. Lying on your mat (or on the beach!) flat on your belly, with feet flat on the floor. Place the hands below the shoulders, spreading fingers wide and rooting your hands into the floor while hugging the elbows into the ribs.
2. Pressing the pelvis and front of the legs into the floor, engage the inner thighs and on your next inhale begin to lift through the chest hugging the elbows to the ribs and keeping the bend in the elbows. front ribs draw in and up, while naval pulls into the spine.
3. Begin to broaden the space between the shoulder blades and open the chest, relax the shoulders so they are away fro the ears, keep the neck long.
4. Stay for 3-5 breaths, exhale and release down.
If you’d like to join Miri in one of her Yoga Sessions, be sure to add in our Yoga Pack to your stay. Each session is 10€ or 40€ for 5 sessions. Ideal for stretching out your sore surf muscles and unwinding at the end of a long day of relaxing in the sun 😉