Surf Yoga Pose of the Week: Extended Triangle Pose
Extended Triangle Pose: Utthita Trikonasana
Triangle pose is an all round perfect pose for surfers and office workers! Building strength, releasing tension, opening and stretching out your tired shoulders and chest after a days surfing the waves, or surfing the web.
- Opens and stretches the shoulders and chest
- Strengthens the thighs, ankles and knees
- Stretches the calves, hamstrings and spine
- Beneficial for stress, anxiety, neck pain and sciatica
Getting into Posture:
1. Beginning in Tadasana, mountain pose at the top of your mat, step your left leg back about 4 feet apart from your front foot, with the foot slightly pointing in and the front foot facing the top of the mat.
Check the front heel is in line with the back heel. Externally rotate your right thigh so that the front knee is in line with your ankle.
2. On your next exhale bending from the hip; begin to lengthen your torso over the front leg, ensuring to ground the outer edge of the back foot into the floor. Rotate your torso outwards and ensure that you are keeping both sides of the body long.
3. Here you can rest your hand on the inner edge of your right shin, or onto a block while lengthening your left arm up, gazing at your left hand. Try to relax the neck.